Community Archives - Page 4 of 7 - Mary's Pence
Photograph of four women on a rooftop with the Minneapolis skyline in the background.

Community

Taylor Says Goodbye

As I turn to go, I am struck by the enduring compassion and fiery passion everyone who’s involved in Mary’s Pence holds for the work and the women. Communities of women in working solidarity with one another, this is Mary’s Pence, and this is bigger than any one of us.

Read More »
Photograph of hree women with arms around each other at the 30th anniversary of Mary's Pence event.

Community

Meet Mary’s Pence: Maggie

Solidarity promotes the recognition of ourselves and others as significant individuals who are part of the human family. This principle disapproves of violence against others and instead stands for peace and the common good.

Read More »
Photograph of Mary's Pence executive director with a variety of grantees.

Community

What I learned about Mary’s Pence in Kansas City

I have always wondered just how much of an impact our small project grants (c. $4,000) actually make. So I asked both Kim and Kris what difference their grants made. Kris immediately began listing all the things that our $4,000 helped to cover for The Justice Project on a day-to-day basis.

Read More »
Photograph of a butterfly on a flower.

Community

Inching Toward Courage: A Book Review of In the Time of the Butterflies

Alvarez doesn’t portray the sisters as martyrs on pedestals, their courage untouched by the trivia and struggles of daily life. Under Alvarez’s hands, the Mirabal sisters behave like real people. They are women in love, women raising families in less-than-ideal circumstances, women who make mistakes and disagree and do the work that must be done.

Read More »
Photograph of a woman making a sign that reads "women religious are the heart of the church."

Community

“Radical Grace” Shares the Radical Spirit of Mary’s Pence

The work of the three nuns is so inclusive, so engaging, and so determined to build community and create social change that the film appeals to a wide audience. Its message is for everyone, not just for Catholics.

Read More »
Photograph of Sister Robbie with other women in front of the Captiol building.

Community

A Pilgrimage of Hope: Nuns on the Bus 2015

I’m not sure where along the way I began to recognize that this was a sacred journey, bringing hope and dignity to those we met, but I suspect it was at the first stop as we were greeted by the 6th grade class at St. Thomas Aquinas School in Indianapolis.

Read More »
Photograph of three women laughing together.

Community

What Mainstream Feminism is Missing

Let’s not forget that feminism is “the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.” Feminism is not trying to make yourself the woman who’s on top, it’s about striving for equality for all.

Read More »
Photograph of a 3 year old boy standing in a doorway.

Community

Where Have All the Children Gone?

The Baltimore Sun paper recently reported that there is no longer a surge of minors crossing into the U.S. So, where are they? On a recent trip to El Salvador, my friend and I discovered that these children and adults are still heading north for the same reasons.

Read More »
Photograph of Mary's Pence staff including Nadine.

Community

Meet Mary’s Pence: Nadine

Throughout her life, Nadine never believed she was limited because she was a woman, and it was with this attitude that she came to Mary’s Pence in 2011. She was especially attracted by our organization’s roots in Catholic Social Teaching and feminism – a combination you don’t see very often!

Read More »
Photograph of a group of ESPERA women from Nicaragua.

Community

What One Bequest Can Do!

Because of her bequest to Mary’s Pence earlier this year, we were able to move forward with a long-held dream: to help the women involved in our ESPERA loan pools improve the financial and marketing skills necessary to ensure the success of their small businesses.

Read More »

Subscribe

Donate

Make a donation today to fund women and change lives.

DONATE